Friday, August 31, 2012

Mother to Mother #1



 by Mavis McDowell
This is my first blog post for OperationREVAMP.inc  August 31, 2012
                The hardest part of traumatic brain injury is it’s not a readily visible wound. Often you don’t know what’s wrong or even if there is an injury. You never know the   life changing consequences you will be facing  because of  it.
                The very nature of brain injury causes memory loss. It used to be a joke in the old movies when someone was knocked unconscious and woke up saying “Where am I ? What happened?”  It’s not funny. You don’t know what you can’t remember especially if no one asks you. 
                Too many of our finest young men and women are suffering from TBI and PTSD.  All the IEDs and nature of war in Iraq and Afghanistan  is costing us too much in human suffering.
                Colonel Dr. Joe Heck’s report recommends better screening, care and therapy for the underestimated number of our troops who are suffering  TBI.   I’m proud to join Wendy Hoffman in her efforts to bring awareness and therapy to our wounded warriors.  As I said in my proposal to Wendy,  my column will offer helpful hints to other mothers - things that I have learned through experience and training.

No comments:

Post a Comment