Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Mother to Mother #18

Mother to Mother # 18 Mavis MacDowell It’s been a while since I have written a mother to mother blog. The loss of my white Doberman left me very depressed. A lot has been happening including two surgeries to repair my sons hip and back. My favorite subject is neurogenesis. Since my son and I are a long way out from our last brain injuries we have been practicing the theories of neurogenesis. I can say we have had a lot of success. One theory that using your non-dominant hand will increase brain cells seems to be valid. Because of injuries to the left side of my head and my right hand I was unable to write legibly. Being a special education teacher I was required to fill in lengthy forms and write reports. I went to a neurologist and he said I would never be able to write legibly with my left hand starting at age 30. He was right, but using my non-dominant hand and both hands together every way I could improve functionality on my left side which would necessitate an increase in neurons on the right side of my brain. I quoted some articles about this in earlier blogs. Now I think I look like a cool European when I eat. It’s actually much easier to use your left hand. My handwriting has actually improved, but it’s different than pre-injury.

No comments:

Post a Comment