Friday, October 5, 2012

Mother to Mother #3



My son’s brain injuries were repeated and severe. He didn’t get any help when they happened.  You  know the effects of recurring brain injury are cumulative. The fact that they are survivors gives us the chance to help them. I researched medical  journals  and  scientific magazines, the web and talked to my son’s doctors.
 I have found my son has benefited in the last   10 years from  some over the counter supplements. These include Acetyl-L-Carnitine-Arginate which promotes neurite growth, Omega 3 fish oil which aides brain function and Melatonin which promotes sleep and is protective against further neurological impairment due to chemicals produced from the TBI. Calcium supplements help prevent strokes. I also give my son vitamin  E & C + a multi-vitamin daily. The theory is that  E & C used together help prevent early onset Alzheimer’s which could be the result of TBI.
John was on Depakote for seizures from the brain injury for years. Doctors were surprised when they found out from tests and the progress patients made that Depakote actually helped promote growth of new neurons  in the brain. Recently John was switched to Lamictal  for his seizures. We have noticed he is functioning at a higher level than before this medication.
The challenge is  to get your child to a great neurologist that will work with you to restore as much of your child’s abilities as possible. I understand the heartbreak of finding your child’s life is  drastically changed. As the caregiver you can make a huge difference.  Learn as much as you can, find a friend you can talk to and just continue to love your child and appreciate the time you have together.
I am a mom like you, but I’ve been struggling to help my son for many years now. My hope is that what we learned from our experience will be helpful  to accelerate you child’s recovery.

No comments:

Post a Comment