Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Mother to Mother - Neurogenisis



 by Mavis MacDowell
NEUROGENESIS  is my favorite word. I get excited when I find references to it in   scientific literature. Psychiatrists found  years ago that patients taking Depakote showed improved mental functioning. After research the conclusion was that it aided NEURAL PLASTICITY another of my favorite words. Which means that new neurons can grow in the brain to replace the ones damaged by TBI.
            Recent research looking at  neuron growth after use of antidepressants the theory was serotonin aided the neurogenesis indirectly.  They now find that after mice took Prozac the levels of a fat called Ceramide was dramatically lowered in their brains. Ceramide  is known to stall neuron growth.
            It is obvious that my son and I have  experienced neurogenesis after our frequent near fatal traumatic brain injuries. The Lord has kept us alive for a reason. I think it is to give others hope of some level of recovery.
            So talk to your loved one’s neurologist about  neurogenesis. It’s worth the effort. I am so grateful for every improvement in my son’s  functioning. He has become very aware of his progress lately and it makes us  very happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment