Friday, November 29, 2013

Mother to Mother - TBI



by Mavis MacDowell

Traumatic brain injury can cause dyslexia, and did in  my son’s case.  I have struggled with the “Books for the Blind” people  for years to get him the books on then tape. The answer was always, “ We need a doctor’s orders and he doesn’t qualify because he  isn’t blind.”
            Making one last attempt to get him something that would stimulate learning something worthwhile  and better than the idiot violent shows on TV, I got lucky. After sending in more paperwork  I connected with another Blue Star Mother who just happened to be  the Librarian for  “Talking Books  of  Nevada” .  We chatted a while about  John’s need for the services. Then we talked about our  military sons. Hers was in Afghanistan. I offered to put his name on the Las Vegas LDS Temple prayer roll. Everyone who goes to the Temple for  two weeks prays for the  people on the roll. I told her it worked for my nephew when he was in Iraq.   He was in  some  ferocious battles. He came home mostly  unharmed and with the Bronze Star.
            She thanked me, and has been sending my son, John very interesting audio  CDs. He is listening and learning. It may take some effort to get your  veteran interested in listening. If he has a special interest you can  order CDs on that subject. The contact information I have is for the state of Nevada. You can goggle books for the blind for your state. A good story can transport you mentally to anyplace you want to go. A good diversion.
            I am so grateful this Thanksgiving season for the progress my son has been making. His new hip enables him to stand and walk like a man. Very important for his self-esteem. He is participating in the training of his service dog. She is very intelligent. The audio books enable people to think about new ideas and places.
            As mothers we are always trying to think of ways to improve the situation.
Give  Talking Books  a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment